According to the office of Governor Rick Scott, many media outlets have been misreporting the facts on HB 1411, legislation signed last week that removes state funding at facilities that perform abortion procedures. Below are key facts of the legislation:
- It continues to be illegal for any facility in Florida to receive taxpayer funds for abortion services.
- Planned Parenthood receives less than $114,000 in direct state funds for non-abortion services.
- Over $5 million in state funds are provided for non-abortion services at many charitable clinics and county health departments. HB 1411 makes sure no state funds can indirectly fund abortions by supporting the same institutions that perform them. For Planned Parenthood, this would only affect about $114,000 in funds they get annually.
In addition, the following facts were noted by the office of Governor Rick Scott.
- Family planning services are still fully funded at non-abortion facilities, including:
- All 67 county health departments
- Physician offices
- Federally Qualified Health Centers
- College Student Health Centers
- Clinics that specialize in family planning services
- Free and Charitable Clinics